18 January 2012

The Phantom Of The Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Phantom Of The Opera -- 1 Star

All right, I have seen the film starring Gerard Butler and listed to the same sound track a hundred times. I do enjoy the story... on stage! The novel, however, was a chore to get through. Christine is a tease, as we would say today. She strings poor Raoul along and leaves him hanging any number of times. The dialog is excrement! And I was left sorry I even started the book in the first place.

This book was on my reading list, and I've had it on my shelf for some time. I should have left it that way. I just could not believe such a renown novel could be so lousy! Honestly, it felt like a French version of Gone With The Wind. I had to speed read to get through this.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same experience with Sweeney Todd. I LOVE the Tim Burton movie, LOVE the music, so I thought I'd read the book. And it was horrible!

    But doesn't it make you admire Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sondheim even more for making something fantastic from something that you hated?

    ReplyDelete