20 March 2013

Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan

Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading 0 Stars

I was terribly disappointed in this. I expected it to be a book about a woman and her love of reading. Instead, I was given this load of crap that featured nothing but lengthy monolog on the Second Feminist Movement. Of course, I was unaware of there being more then just the one. You know, 1960's, people burning bras and draft cards. I'm not a feminist, just a girl who reads and works (preferably in that order). Being told that a woman enduring years of torment from a man is classified as an "extreme-adventure" really ticks me off! I swear, it was like reading the commentary of a Lifetime Special.

Sure there are many strong female rolls in fiction, I've featured many here in my blog. What I don't like is seeing a woman in an emotionally taxing roll in which she has to survive beating after beating, affair after affair and just accept it as the way the world works that she has to simply accept it. I've read countless books in which the female lead is strong, emotionally and physically. She takes care of herself and others, while maintaining her dignity.

Honestly, I'm surprised that I managed to read it at all without throwing it against the wall. I felt incredibly let down. She promised so much and delivered next to nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment